By Bernard Lightman
- Provides a single-volume evaluate of present scholarship within the heritage of technological know-how edited via one of many major figures within the field
- Features 40 essays through best foreign students offering an outline of the major debates and advancements within the background of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper historic contextualization in the field
- Helps converse and combine views from the heritage of technology with different components of historic inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western topics that are built-in through the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in keeping with key analytic different types that replicate new methods within the field
Read or Download A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
This identify brings jointly a gaggle of students within the sciences of complexity, and some staff at the interface of technological know-how and faith, to discover the broader implications of complexity reports. It contains an creation to complexity experiences and explores the concept that of data in physics and biology and diverse philosophical and spiritual views.
The 3rd quantity of Margaret W. Rossiter’s landmark survey of the heritage of yankee girls scientists makes a speciality of their pioneering efforts and contributions from 1972 to the current. critical to this tale are the struggles and successes of girls scientists within the period of affirmative motion. rankings of formerly remoted ladies scientists have been abruptly energized to do issues they'd not often, if ever, performed before—form organisations and recruit new contributors, begin rosters and initiatives, placed out newsletters, confront gurus, or even struggle (and win) court cases.
Even though a number of the functional and highbrow traditions that make up glossy technology date again centuries, the class of “science” itself is a relative novelty. within the early eighteenth century, the trendy German be aware that may later suggest “science,” naturwissenschaft, was once no longer even integrated in dictionaries.
Profitable common source administration is far greater than strong technological know-how; it calls for operating with landowners, assembly closing dates, securing investment, supervising employees, and cooperating with politicians. the facility to paintings successfully with humans is as very important for the conservation expert because it is for the police officer, the college instructor, or the attorney.
- The Concept of Nature (Dover Books on Science)
- Ockham's Razors: A User's Manual
- Brewing Science, Technology and Print, 1700-1880 (Sci & Culture in the Nineteenth Century)
- Managing Northern Europe's Forests: Histories from the Age of Improvement to the Age of Ecology (Environment in History: International Perspectives)
- Scientific Uncertainty, and Information
- The Scientist as Philosopher: Philosophical Consequences of Great Scientific Discoveries
Additional resources for A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) by Bernard Lightman